Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

ImageFAP Harem Girl - I Create Controversy Within My Own Head

I had a fun experience today and wanted to blog it.

The whole "remaining anonymous" thing takes a lot of work. Pictures taken from the shoulder down just bother me and pixelated faces seem like a last resort. I sometimes do use blur, just to make it easy. My preference is makeup, heavy makeup, even Kabuki or alien style! But -- for a variety of reasons -- I'm not up to or able to put on makeup every time I do a shoot.

So, today I decided I'd do a "masked and veiled face" approach. I used a thong for my face and (of all things!) a t-shirt over my head. This was the result:


I was satisfied. It kept me pretty anonymous while providing a not-too-bad visual experience.

So I thought.

Turns out it was more than "not-too-bad". I launched my cam to do a little visual show and people started clicking in. There were a total of 9 in all, tho of course you don't know when they leave, only when they connect.

Of the 9, about 4 commented on how hot the "harem" look was.

I was taken a little aback. I can't say I was oblivious to the connection, I'd made it myself, but it didn't occur to me that anyone else would. My head started spinning. Why? Because I was wrestling with whether or not this felt racist and culturally offensive.

Yes, I know, I know. There's already so much about what I'm doing here that people could find offensive, why was this one different? All I can say is that it is.

I think every culture struggles (whether they admit it or now) with the question of the boundaries of human sexuality. Some try to repress it and not deal with it ("woman is the root of all evil, so keep them barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen"), others indulge in sexual license (that part of American culture), some try to embrace a more nuanced approach, or even make it something positive (eros, tantra).  The lines are always shifting and the final word isn't in. 

Being racist or culturally offensive isn't a shifting line, it's just wrong. There isn't going to be a point in history where we realize, "well, it was OK to insult that culture!"

Anyhow, I've let go of it. It's the projection of their fantasies, not something I'm actively trying to pursue or implant.


No comments:

Post a Comment